[This article was taken from NJTW News, an NJTechWeekly.com newsletter. Sign up for it here.]
Sorin And Colleagues Leave McCarter & English
- Boston-based law firm Brown Rudnick, which has a significant presence in New York, is the new home to the venture capital and technology practice of David Sorin and several other partners from Newark-based McCarter & English.
- Sorin was the chair of the Venture Capital Group and Emerging Growth Companies practice at McCarter.
- Known for his championship of the New Jersey tech and entrepreneurship ecosystem, Sorin has served as attorney and advisor to many local startups, and he helped found the New Jersey Technology Council, now TechUnited:NJ.
- Sorin, Scott Smedresman, Jared Sorin, Joseph Ferino, and Matthew Uretsky, along with their associates Ken Franklin, Morgan Jones and Thomas Rezach also joined Brown Rudnick, where they focus on emerging growth tech and tech-enabled companies..
- Sorin told us that Brown Rudnick hopes to open a small office in Princeton in the near future.
Pharma AR/AI Startup Apprentice Gets $100 Million
- Jersey City-based Apprentice, founded in 2014, recently raised $100 million in a Series C round, led by new investor Alkeon Capital Management.
- Apprentice found great success during the pandemic as the pharmaceutical industry transformed processes to produce mRNA vaccines.
- This was the first large-scale application of cutting-edge cell therapies that require a profoundly different production process, the company said.
- The company’s intelligent cloud platform integrates augmented reality, voice recognition, and artificial intelligence into wearable, mobile, and desktop devices to offer a virtual collaboration application and a robust manufacturing and lab-execution system, the company said.
- Congratulations to Angelo Stracquatanio III, cofounder and CEO, and cofounders Gary Pignata and Alexandra Buttke.